The action plan objectives were to:
- Establish regular communications within the IAPO African Regional Network
- Improve patient-provider relationships
- Increase access to patient information
- Improve health literacy
- Advocate for healthcare policy in a multi-stakeholder forum
A regional support fund provided ten members with small grants to undertake their proposed action plan activities. Projects included:
- The development of national networks of patients’ organizations in Ghana, Malawi and Zambia
- The development and distribution of patient information through leaflets and workshops in Nigeria and Uganda
- The scaling up of access to treatment through community partnerships in Uganda to increase patient involvement in healthcare policy-making
- Increasing awareness on the safe use of medicines in South Africa and Uganda
IAPO would like to thank the African Regional Steering Committee 2012 for their commitment and valuable contributions to guiding the implementation of the action plan; Regina Namata Kamoga, CHAIN, Uganda and IAPO Board Member; Nana Yaa Agyeman, Sharecare Ghana; Bisi Bright, LiveWell Initiative (Nigeria); Ndyahika Dickson, Epilepsy Support Association Uganda; Elizabeth Matare, South African Depression and Anxiety Group; and Tendayi Westerhof, Public Personalities Against AIDS Trust, (Zimbabwe).
“IAPO is a powerful institution working towards alleviating the suffering of the grassroots movement. Therefore we need to strengthen the local chapters at country level and make sure that they are all integrated to the regional platform.” Global Hope Mobilization, Malawi
In 2013, IAPO members in Africa will mark the first regional Patient Solidarity Day across Africa. This initiative has been developed by the steering committee to consolidate the work of IAPO members and provide a regional opportunity to build networks, collaboration, multi-stakeholder engagement, and raise a joint patient voice on the need for patient-centred healthcare in Africa.
A steering committee for 2013 will be set-up to implement this initiative, if you are interested in joining the committee, or would like further information on IAPO’s African activities, email: email@example.com.